Saturday, March 3, 2012

How will it take to recover from amnesia?

A couple days ago, I hit my head on the side of a sidewalk. My friend had to take me to the hospital, and the doctors confirmed "minor amnesia". It was nothing to serious, but I am still a bit confused. There are many faces I still can't tie to a name. I text Jesse, who is my boyfriend and it drives me crazy that I can't tie his name to a face. I'm hoping to remember him when I see him at school on Monday. Is there anyone who's had a similar experience? More importantly when will my memory come back?How will it take to recover from amnesia?
Sounds like you had a concussion, aka mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI). Mild problems with attention, memory, and information processing speed are pretty common after a concussion. You should recover just fine but it's really important that you take things easy this weekend. Get plenty of sleep at night and rest throughout the day. The key is to gradually ease back into normal activities including school as you start to feel more like yourself again. I would think your doctor or school counselor could get you excused from classes for at least the first few days next week to stay home and rest. Very important to take the time you need to recover. Your symptoms probably won't last longer than a few weeks.



Ask someone to take you to the ER again if you have a headache that gets worse, vomiting, or increasing confusion/disorientation.



See the below link to a Wikipedia article if you need more info. Get some rest!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment